Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Just back from our first meeting for the Eugene SRTS (group/coalition/team/council/?).  We have a really great group of people energized and ready to create a sustainable and productive organization that increases biking and walking to and from school.  
I'll do another post with an overview of our vision and goals after our next meeting as we firm things up. In my research and note writing after the meeting I came across this amazing little video from Eugene in 1972.  It shows that what we are doing is nothing new AND that major change CAN happen.  Just look at the different cycling infrastructure that was implemented soon after this movie and continues with us today.  It's about six minutes and this is just part one, I'll put a link to part two below this one. 
 I'll see if I can get ahold of the video and make it one of the films for the "Transportation Film Fest" that we are talking about.  I had an idea for the fest in relation to SRTS too.... getting kids to produce Appropriate Transport themed films (anything from bmx/freestyle riding, instructional, skateboard clips, to strict transportation films). I know some kids at CAT already  have done some.
Here's the video, again, wow:


You can see the other part at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3G_f1pjncc&feature=related


No comments:

Post a Comment